With so much going on in our lives these days – there are ways to use technology and the internet to help you make better use of your time rather than the time drain it so often becomes.
Here are just a few that I use or recommend that you can install on your computer or smartphone.
1. Log and track your online and computer activity with an app like RescueTime. See just how long you’re spending in certain apps (like email) and adjust your behaviour and activity to work more productively and more efficiently.
2. Focus your time with apps like FocusBooster or PomodoroApp – these allow you to work in bite-sized chunks of time that help you stay focused and less likely to be distracted. Pomodoro works on the basis of 25 minutes work followed by a 5 minute break. FocusBooster lets you set a variable amount of time. 10-15 minutes is great for blasting through quick tasks or starting on something you’ve been putting off.
3. Remember The Milk – a great app that enables you to set up tasks and reminders, so you never need to forget anything and will sync across all your devices. It also links with Evernote – another useful app for capturing thoughts, ideas, images and pretty much anything all in one place.
5. Apps such as Hootsuite or Tweetdeck enable you to view and manage all your social media feeds – Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn in one place. Schedule posts for when you’re away, stay connected and respond without having to visit each app separately.
6. Dropbox or Google Drive – very useful apps that mean you’ll always have all those important documents with you when you need them. Install the App on your phone, tablet and computer and they will automatically sync when you’re online. Share files and folders with colleagues, friends and family.
Don’t get too caught up with the latest app or the newest technology – think about the task you want to do and then find the best app or resource to fit your needs.